Streets were planted with trees from 1892, and lawns and corner gardens laid out on the Town Planning Estate from 1912. Several of the earlier roads on this estate were private (Rushbrook, Thorpe, Ardleigh, Keith, Fleeming Close and part of North Countess) and up until 1928 gates were closed and controlled by the local shopkeepers. The roads were unsealed and just a mix of sand, clay and gravel (hoggin), so they required regular maintenance, particularly after windy weather. They were finally taken over by the Council in 1956.

© Kirstin Sibley