During WWII 234 Warner properties were destroyed and a large number damaged.
All estates were affected, but particularly the Clock House and Winns Estates, which were hit by parachute mines. Prefabs were built on Blackhorse Road and in Aveling Park to temporarily house those displaced. Extensive repairs were carried out by the Warner Estate until 1952, with rebuilding continuing into the early 1960s.
Text © Kirstin Sibley, 2014